New Mama Must Haves
Being a new mama is very hard no matter what type of delivery you had or which number baby you are on. A newborn comes with some serious attention and time commitments which in turn makes your life crazy! Having a few essentials might make this crazy roller coaster of having a newborn somewhat easier or at least manageable =)
What helped me as a mom get through the first intense week and the remainder of the first month or so. I am not sharing what I used for the baby these items were just what I used for myself. **I must note that I am a first time mom so some things might not apply to a person who has more than one child**
- Good bra- Even if you aren’t nursing those boobs will get large and leak so make sure to have a comfortable night time and day time bra. If you are nursing make sure you get a good quality nursing bra that is easy to use and comfortable.
- Comfortable clothing- You want to make yourself comfortable not fashionable. When you are past those first few weeks you can think about going back to cute clothes. If you want to enjoy the baby try to make yourself comfortable and happy. I’m not saying wear baggy frumpy clothes just something not too tight and easy to be comfortable.
- Netflix/Hulu/YouTube- You will spend a lot of time taking care of the baby either sitting on the couch or on your bed so it is nice to have something to watch. Find a good TV show to get into to or watch some good movies. I found Netflix, Hulu and YouTube helped me get through those somewhat boring days.
- Easy to eat/Ready meals- Hunger will hit you at the worst times, especially if your nursing, so make sure to have food that is easy to prepare. I found having healthy granola bars or little packaged snacks came in handy very often. I also had pre-made meals that could be heated up quickly when you are STARVING!! Lots of food will be consumed so stock up before baby gets here!
- Feminine product basket- The after math of having a baby is not pretty for your lady parts so you will become very familiar with the giant pads you saw when you were shown the puberty video in Junior High. I found it very helpful to have a basket filled with all the supplies I needed in the upstairs bathroom and the downstairs one. I had giant pads, witch hazel, a perineal bottle, disposable underwear, and numbing spray in the basket and it sat on top of the toilet. Having it easily accessible is the key so that you can get what you need done before the baby needs you again. A basic basket will do or you can use an empty shoe box. I actually found that after your done with all the post baby things the basket comes in handy to hold your other woman products on a regular basis =)
- Cute water jug- You need to drink a ton of water while pregnant and that about doubles after you have the baby. Drinking a lot of water will help with your milk supply and help flush everything out of your system. Staying hydrated is hard if you dont like water or find it hard to drink water. I found that by having a large cute jug or bottle I was more willing to drink the water. Make sure to fill it up constantly through out the day and maybe even add fruit or lemon to jazz up the water.
I really hope that you were able to take some ideas from my new mama essentials list =) Being a new mom is hard but it is very rewarding!! Good luck and you will all do amazing!!